Being new to the city of Philadelphia, I wanted to explore the different parts and popular spots of the city. And I felt the most authentic way of doing it would be to use public transport. So I started going to new places and faced a lot of issues while planning & undertaking my journey. And that lead me to wonder if there were other people who might be facing similar issues. And thus I chose this task to work on.
The goal of this project was to redesign a task flow, to increase its usability and thus better the user experience. Hence we had to come up with some sort of digital solution which would make the chosen task easier to perform for the target users.
We started by conducting user interviews to understand how people currently search for directions and what all issues they face while performing the task which we chose. The User Interviews provided us with a lot of useful data which we analyzed to get inputs for the redesign.
After getting the data from the ten user interviews, my teammate and I created an affinity diagram by grouping the similar information into clusters. This helped us get a better understanding of the data we had collected in the discovery phase. Later I converted this affinity diagram into a digital infographic to get a better view of how the background of my users affected their choices in performing the task. Then using this information, I created a persona which represented my target user group and gave me a more concise insights into their goals, actions and pain points.
I started the ideation phase to come up with something for users like Roy who are new to the place and are not that familiar with Google Maps and other online tools. Thus I began with competitor analysis of Google Maps and Waze, investigating their shortcomings and looking for solutions which would fill the gap.
Used the feature maps technique to quickly test out few possible layouts for my solution. After selecting one of the feature maps, I started designing wireframes and ultimately creating an interactive prototype using Axure. Creating an interactive prototype, made it easier to test the idea with users and get their feedback on it.
Validation was performed by showing the interactive prototype to designers as well as users and getting feedback from them. Important findings:
Based on the feedback received during validation, the following changes have been proposed:
Through this project, I learnt about the process of conducting user interviews including creating the script and forming the questionnaire. I also learnt how to create an affinity diagram and how to use it as a tool to extract valuable information from the data collected through user research. Another challenging part of the process was to coming up with feature maps and the wireframes, but it was a lot of fun too.View Detailed Case Study